Thursday, March 3, 2011

Being in the Right...

I've been reading several blogs lately and one that speaks to my soul every time I read it is Proverbs 31 Ministries. Once in a while when I read something, it makes me want to write. It's typically something that I feel I need to dive into more. And if I need it, it probably means there is someone else out there who needs it too! I attribute this quality to my mom who inspires me daily and who is a beautiful writer, inspired by both the simple and the great. Today's posting was in reference to Hosea 10:12. I can't say I've spent a lot of time in this book of the Bible, but these words really gripped me. 


“Sow for yourselves righteousness, reap the fruit of unfailing love, and break up your unplowed ground; for it is time to seek the Lord, until he comes and showers righteousness on you. 
Hosea 10:12 (NIV)


I'm not a gardener, but I love all of the references to gardening in the Bible. It's something I can comprehend and wrap my head around. We've all heard the messages that you reap what you sow, what goes around comes around, you are what you eat, etc... I've never thought of it in terms of sowing righteousness. But, when we live our lives "rightly" what flows from that is fruit that honors God (aka right choices). Sowing righteousness means doing the right thing in the eyes of God, not man. It's showing kindness, extending love, even when it's undeserved. It's doing the right thing when the wrong thing is happening.  When we remain faithful to fulfilling righteous living daily, God's blessings will pour down on us. 


How easily I forget this! Just as the Israelites seemed to have memory lapses of God's power and love, so I too seem to have memory issues, or  "spiritual dementia!" I get stuck in this thinking that I'm a failure and I can't be effective because I've allowed my "humanness" to define me. With this passage, God is saying to me, "Wake up! You are not a failure! I made you! Live your life for Me, let Me direct you, let Me be your purpose for living. You have what it takes! Don't focus on what you did or didn't do. Each moment is an opportunity to bring glory to Me and don't let your feelings determine whether or not you will honor Me. You can't trust your feelings. Break up those areas in your heart of loneliness, shame, pain, and discontent. Instead turn over that new soil so that growth can happen, new character, new insight, new opportunities."


I can be reactive to circumstances in my life or I can be proactive...choosing to show grace to others, including myself. It's changing downward thinking into upward and forward thinking (onward & upward!). It's really a heart matter. Staying in His word, fellowshiping with a community of believers, and staying in close communication with God daily are key to keeping my heart and head in alignment.


My prayer:
God help me to stay focused on You and not on what the world may think of me or what is in my past. Help me to use every moment of every day, good or bad, as opportunities for growth and for bringing honor to You. Let my life be a reflection of You so that others will come to know You. Thank you Jesus for your unfailing love and grace. In Jesus name, Amen


http://devotions.proverbs31.org/2011/03/a-space-for-grace.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+p31encouragement+%28P31+Encouragement+for+Today%29

2 comments:

  1. You have inherited your Mom's writing skills...thanks for this post!!
    Love you my friend ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am speechless! I know, that doesn't often happen; but when I think of where we were a year ago and what God has shown both of us during those “dark” days, I am always amazed at how much He loves us and how much He wants for us to live in the light and know that He loves us – right where we are. There have been many books and articles written about mother/daughter relationships, but this one thing I know – our relationship now is probably as close to what Jesus was teaching us all along – true, unfathomable, unconditional love. Your words speak as I listen to the still small voice of Jesus telling both of us that we are indeed, the apple of His eye. “For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God…” Ephesians 2:8

    Love you Forever,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete